Monday, January 17, 2011

Lifehacking - Tips - Use old socks to protect hardwood floors (and toes)

I love our hardwood floors.  We worked really hard as a family to install them, and we do our best to keep them in good shape, including making some of our beds wear socks on their feet.  Originally this started as an attempt to protect our toes from being stubbed in the night on bed legs, but it has proven so effective at protecting the hardwood floors that I had to share this tip with you.



Thick wool hiking socks are your best choice as they have built in padding (for your toes).  If the furniture legs are going to show you might want to fuss over colour, but most beds have a skirt that hides the legs from view so your wooly socks are hidden from sight.  Pushing the socks down so they bunch up near the floor provides the best protection. I'm convinced these socks have prevented at least 1 broken toe in the last 5 years :-).

Here are some photos showing the hardwood floor under my daughter's bed.

This  photo shows a bed leg with its sock. 



This photo shows what happened after that leg's sock went missing, and my daughter jumped on her bed as frequently as 4 year olds do.


Cheers!  I hope my tip helps you by sparing you frustration pain and expense.
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment