Sunday, July 5, 2009

Save Time and Reduce Waste with Better Handling of Flyers & Community Newspapers

I don't like clutter.  I know advertising works (which explains the billions spent on it) the question is...  Why would I subject myself to advertising and allow my house to be cluttered just to give someone else my money?

Four times a week we receive a community newspaper.  Now the paper is mostly ads, advertisements, paid advertising and ads.  There are relevant local articles, but it hardly seems worth the "filtering" to get to the content.  Out of 40 printed pages, I'd guess 4 or less actually contain news.  Now I don't believe in mindlessly reading advertisements (and don't know anyone who will admit to this), but I must admit my relationship to the printed newspapers that appear on my mailbox has been undergoing a transformation.

I was curious what the impact was on my time and on the environment to handle all the paper associated with the unsolicited flyers and community newspapers I receive. To try and estimate the impact on my city, I'm assuming everyone in town does exactly what I do, and I'm believing the newspaper's circulation figures (averaged to 40,000 per paper) which I found on the Internet.  You will see some high dollar figures here, and this is because the cost to consumers is generally left out of the equation and ignored... Retailers don't incur that cost, it is the consumer's problem, so why would anyone bother to track or estimate that cost...  This is only a rough but fair estimate.  Now I'd love to make this more accurate, so if you take issue with the numbers, do us all a favour and contribute some research.  Here is the transformation in chronological order:

Handling Flyers and community newspapers (original version 1.0)

Initially we would bring the paper in, sort through the flyers "in case there was something good there", and put the papers on the coffee table to be read.  Then I would flip from front to back through the paper making sure I didn't "miss anything.  So including all the "handling time" bringing in the paper, reading through it. Picking it up off the floor after the small children decorated the room with it. Recycling it. I probably spent 30 minutes per paper and ended up skipping half of the papers completely.  The time spent "reading the paper" was time I didn't spend with my kids etc, so I'm going to think of that cost to me as $20/hour for my like many people earn.  The 150 grams estimated weight of the paper is based on Canada Post's "weight restriction" for mailing community newspapers (mine is probably larger) and 37 grams of flyers.  So 150 grams 4 times a week is 0.6 Kg per week or 31.2 Kg per year.

  • My yearly time spent "handling" newspapers and flyers: 52 hours $1040

  • My papers and flyers sent to recycling: 31.2Kgs (68.8 lbs)

  • My city's yearly time spent "handling" newspapers and flyers: 2,080,000 hours $41,600,000   (this is the cost of consumer's time!)

  • My city's papers and flyers sent to recycling: 1,248,000 Kgs (2,751,369 lbs)


Handling Flyers and community newspapers (updated version 2.0)

Then I recognized the time I was spending "tidying up" these papers all over our living space and I wanted to get the papers re-routed to recycling at the earliest point possible.  What I would do is "intentionaly"  sit down and skim the newspaper articles for 5 minutes, if there was relevant content I save the paper for my wife and tell her what is worth reading, if not, I recycle it and all of the flyers stuffed inside before the paper even makes it up the stairs to our living space.  (Sorry advertisers, your advertising budget was not effectively spent).  But this skimming is still an interesting activity to me, I'm not doing it because I am (at that moment) interested in reading the paper or learning something specific, I'm "reacting" to the newspaper being delivered to my door.  I'm voluntarily spending at least 20 minutes per week filtering out advertisements....   Hmm, how is it that someone else is "making me" spend time reading their paper....  That wasn't my idea.   Hey I could have used that time for something I WANTED to do.

  • My yearly time spent "handling" newspapers and flyers: 17 hours $340 <reduced>

  • My papers and flyers sent to recycling: 31.2Kgs (68.8 lbs)    <No change>

  • My city's yearly time spent "handling" newspapers and flyers: 680,000 hours $13,600,000   <reduced>

  • My city's papers and flyers sent to recycling: 1,248,000 Kgs (2,751,369 lbs) <No change>


Handling Flyers and community newspapers (New Era version 3.0)

So I noticed that when those friendly guys from the "Globe and Mail" would call, I would answer.  "Not really interested, I use the Internet." and they would simply drop it and let me go with no more "sales"... hmmm..  Maybe I could just use the Internet and replace my local community paper...  So I testsed this.  What I could find online (in several locations) had all the information with much less advertising.  In many cases it offered more than the news (videos and such).  I bravely asked my wife what she thought and when I learned that she really didn't use those grocery store flyers I'd been saving for years, our course was set.  We put a "No Flyers or Newspapers" sign on our mailbox and suddenly our house is neater, our recycling is lighter, and I'm facing much less temptation to purchase things I would not have otherwise purchased.  I'm estimating that I only spend 15 minutes per month looking for local news and information.  Only God knows the value of the "impulse purchases" I'm not making.

  • My yearly time spent not "handling" newspapers and flyers: 3 hours $60 (Internet time) <reduced>

  • My papers and flyers sent to recycling: 0 Kgs (0 lbs) <reduced>

  • My city's residents potential yearly time spent not "handling" newspapers and flyers: 120,000 hours $2,400,000 <reduced>

  • My city's could potentially save  1,248,000 Kgs (2,751,369 lbs) of paper from going to recycling (or worse) <Join Me! It's free!>


Adding back "The Internet"

Sure there is time spent on the Internet to find local information, but I don't think it is the same as putting a paper on your doorstep.  I think that when someone is actually pursuing information, and not just having it "forced" on them, they are able to dig deeper and learn more.  Sure I will likely look up some local events using the Internet, maybe 15 minutes per month when I NEED to know something specific.  But that is one of the major points I'm making.  Newspaper delivery was someone else's idea that consumed my time and wasted paper.

Other Resources for breaking your flyer addiction

We are fortunate to live in abundance where one of our major issues is TOO MUCH STUFF! And to keep us buying more, Canadians are inundated with $19 Billion worth of advertising each year. If the old adage is true, "half of all marketing works great, if only we knew which half" why don't advertisers spend more resources understanding which half works and spend the other half supporting community?

Image:No flyers please.png

Image:Save our trees.png

  • The Canadian national "Do Not Call List" operated by the government of Canada promises to reduce phone based solicitation.  https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/

  • The "Canadian Marketing Association has a "Do not Contact Service" designed to get your name on a list their members might check before sending out mailed advertisements. http://www.the-cma.org/?WCE=C=47|K=224217

  • A ?grassroots? attempt to produce a better "do not call list" http://www.ioptout.ca/ trys to overcome limitations with the "Do Not Call List" (charities are not restricted etc).


(Use the comments to evaluate the usefulness of these links).

Please comment to let me know what you think of all this.  Do you have paper taming tricks? ways to find local information that work for you?  Would you consider joining me with a simple "no flyers or newspapers" sign on  your mailbox?  Why or why not?

Cheers,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment