Sunday, July 12, 2009

Blog posts imported successfully to Blogger from Wordpress

I was happy to find a useful utility for importing Wordpress Blog posts and comments (with original dates) to Blogger today.

After a couple false starts with utilities that did not deliver, i found a Google Code project Announced on the Google Blog . The project features a number of converters including the "Wordpress2Blogger" converter I used. The blogs I could see supported include "movabletype", "livejournal", "blogger", "wordpress".

First I logged into my Wordpress account and did an Export (under tools) which gave me an XML file with the entire blog's content. Then I presented that file to the (online) converter, and it gave me a new file in blogger export format. Then on Blogger (under settings, under basic) I used the import blog option. Thank you blogger for allowing me the option to import everything "unpublished" which allowed me to go through the posts and determine if there were any I did not want to bring across (same for comments). Blogger was also really good about displaying the previous status of the posts. "previously published", "previously saved draft" etc.

I'm happy to say the content came across really rapidly. Good work Google, Google Code volunteers and Blogger!

Thanks.
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment