Sunday, February 1, 2009

Free Videos of Inspired talks by the world's leading thinkers.

If you are like me, for you broadcast TV is almost dead. I don't want to reschedule MY life because some corporation decided the show will air at 9PM instead of 8PM. Also, of the 30 channels that are available on basic cable, only about 2 channels will have compelling content. (if that many) So there is un-compelling content on an inflexible schedule. For favourite tv shows like Lost or the office, I keep seeing re-runs in the middle of the "season". If a season is 24 weeks, there should be 24 shows... The math seems very simple to me. If I miss a show, its GONE. Thankfully, the internet provides some more flexible options in terms of when you watch your "video content".

One such bright light on the Internet which is providing high quality video content that is worth watching is TED.  TED.Com is worth checking out. It has amazing talks available online for free. Most are 20 minutes long, and feature themes like "design" "greener living", "what makes us happy" and more.

[caption id="attachment_249" align="aligncenter" width="280" caption="Ted, Ideas worth spreading."]Ted, Ideas worth spreading.[/caption]

If I can say one thing, it is that TED talks are top quality and very interesting. TED obviously does a great job of filtering who they invite to speak. I find myself sending friends links to TED talks which often strike me as the most carefully thought out, succinct, presentations I've ever heard on the subjects. There are lots to choose from, so if architecture doesn't interest you, "Whats wrong with what we eat", or "Inventions from tomorrow", or "The real difference between liberals and conservatives"might.

I discovered TED quite by accident while using an open media player MIRO  that highlights channels that have free content. So if you enjoy learning and challenging yourself in your spare time, consider TED.

So check out TED. The things I am seeing there

No comments:

Post a Comment