Thursday, February 26, 2009

Carpooling puts CA$H back in your pocket

By carpooling I probably save over $1500 a year in after-tax dollars.  I think there are other advantages to carpooling that you should know about which you may not have considered.

Let me start by saying that I never thought I would carpool.  The idea was fine for other people but, I liked the convenience of being able to come and go as I pleased, even though I arrived at work and left work like clockwork.  I thought I was probably a better driver than anyone I would carpool with, so from a safety perspective I didn't want to put my life at risk.  I also didn't really want total strangers in my personal space yet worked in an office that probably had 20 people I knew driving the same commute.  So I had objections which no longer apply at this point.

[caption id="attachment_363" align="aligncenter" width="160" caption="Carpool"]Carpool[/caption]

In commuting all year with 2 other people on a 1 hour commute, we have gas costs of about $10 per day and the mileage driven is roughly 100km/day.

I have discovered the following benefits when carpooling;

  • Less wear and tear on my car because I drive about 15,000 kilometers less per year

  • Less parking costs when we are able to use one parking spot for all 3 of us

  • We have personally reduced congestion in traffic by taking 2 cars a day off the road

  • Saving about $1500 a year in gas

  • By removing 2 cars per day from the road we have each reduced our contribution to air pollution by 2/3rds

  • By reducing our gas consumption by 2/3rds we are reducing North American dependence on imported oil and conserving existing fuel stocks

  • By leaving my car at home 3 days a week, my wife can use it to run errands, and we can operate our household on 1 vehicle rather than 2 (Save $1500/year on insurance, Save $2300+ per year on the capital cost of purchasing a car + financing)

  • Since I drive only 1/3rd of the time, I am less exposed to an accident in my vehicle (which would be on my insurance).

  • I've become a better driver through closely observing how the other drivers drive.  Jen calculates an optimal route and sticks to the plan.  Claudiu does not sweat the small stuff in traffic and maintains his cool etc...

  • I experience "debriefing" time on the way home which allows me to get work out of my system with people who will listen, before I get home which benefits my family.  Along the same lines, conversing with my co-workers outside of work improves my perspective on things that happen in the office and gives an opportunity for me to solicit input outside of formal work channels.

  • Those in our carpool have benefited from increased sleep time (mornings only), video time (backseat only), cellphone, reading and crocheting time and "staring out the window" down-time.  All of these are best done while someone else is driving.

  • Improved safety in traffic because there are extra sets of eyes in the car which can help spot hazards earlier.

  • A team dedicated to getting me home quickly and safely who work together to scan radio and websites for traffic and routing information when traffic get congested.  (Reading websites on your phone is not recommended while driving)


Others may realize additional benefits like:

  • Access to carpool lanes which may reduce commuting time, stress and gas consumption/cost.

  • Reduced car insurance costs if the number of kilometers they drive and the number of days they drive qualifies them for a reduced premium.


I think this list is pretty impressive, and I never would have seen all of these benefits if I hadn't started carpooling.  In a future post I plan to address carpool etiquette, and getting a successful carpool started.  I hope you find some of these reasons compelling to start thinking about whether a carpool could benefit you in your situation.

Leave your comments below if you have any questions or if you have realized other carpooling benefits.

Cheers!
Greg.

3 comments:

  1. That was a brilliant post. You summed up carpooling perfectly. In these tough economic times, who doesn't need/want to slash their commuting costs? I am working on a project with South Florida Commuter Services. The Florida Department of Transportation recently opened tolled express lanes, or hot lanes, on busy Interstate 95. Registered 3+ carpoolers get to ride the lanes free, and they are leaving single-car drivers in the dust. The lanes are just about six miles but carpoolers are cutting 15-20 minutes off of their commutes. I can't understand why more people don't take advantage of carpooling, but hopefully stories like yours will change some minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks Christine!
    Watch for an upcoming article on carpool etiquette, and my best ideas for how to start carpooling successfully. (might be a week or so till I'm happy with the post)
    Cheers!
    Greg.

    ReplyDelete