Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Green Tree



Since 2002 I’ve been running this micro ISV (independent software vendor) and I’ve really enjoyed working with some great customers over the years.  In the current season, I’m taking stock of my life and auditing where I spend my time.  My small children and my wife deserve the bulk of my non-working hours, and that has never been up for debate.  Children however grow up and become more social and require more direct attention.  I’m making sure my kids get that from me, and adjusting the way that I work with GreenTree to accomodate that. 

One way that I have been attempting to honour my customers for the last 6 years is by filling in the gaps myself.  Where a customer has requested A and B, but really those don’t make sense without C, I’ve built C for them at no cost.  Where a customer has asked for a feature that requires massive re-working, I’ve shared the cost of that re-working with them.  So while they have seen some of the costs of customizing software, they have not had seen the whole cost.  I however had seen that hidden cost, often working unseen late into the evenings only to get up early the next morning for work.   So I’ve attempted recently to restore balance and cut out the overwork.

In order for my family or my business to be healthy, I must be healthy.  A tree providing shade to animals, soil retention to the land, and purification for the air, must be thriving.   I see that now, and I’m ready for this next season of re-focussing and prioritizing, of Auditing my life.  I am the green tree.

Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment